Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Tale of a Do-Over, Part 1

Now, these two posts are a special treat for you readers, a case study if you will. They will showcase that, like everyone, artists make mistakes, are not always happy with the work they do, and sometimes even re-do pieces for clients!

You all remember this piece? If not, go back through the archives, it was posted in June. My client commissioned this piece after he saw (and could unfortunately not buy) "Porcelain" from my solo show at the Naam. He wanted something similar, so I created this...

"Purity"
Again, using Ink, Watercolor, and Gouache on Illustration Board.

He got it framed beautifully and it hangs front and center in his waiting room!

Now, he liked "Purity" so much, and thought it looked so lonely, that he requested another one like it right away. However, at the time I was very busy and leaving on vacation in a few weeks. Despite his assurances that he would wait until I got back, I wanted to get it done before I left.

And here is the result, "Patience".

Obviously, as you can see, it is not up the the standards of the first painting, nor does it match due to that reason. I was rushed and not taking the care and attention that I usually would have. Plus, perhaps, my ego was telling me "Oh hell, this is your 4th one of this series! You've got it down to a science, no need to fuss over it!"

I really should have fussed. There's lack of detail, care and color variance...

And I got a bit carried away with all the drips and drops.

The client and I discussed it, and I said that I would prefer to do it again (as it would just annoy me that I hadn't done my best work, and given him a lesser-than piece). However, it was agreed that I would take all the time I needed to complete it to my standards. See the next post for how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment